Thursday 6 December 2007

I Might Have To Move To Chile

... and not coz I'm fleeing from a regime change, no it all has to do with that vicious circle of sleep I'm in.

I know I'm quite a case of "People Who Don't Sleep Enough Because They Stay Up Late For Absolutely No Reason" ... but the truth is I was trying to change it. And then I went to that Uni thing and I wasn't home before 5.30 am ... and stupid me, I should have just stayed awake that day. But of course I went to bed and slept till noon.

And now there is no breaking out of this ... I'm lying awake till 4 in the morning desperately trying to fall asleep and I can't get up before noon. I tried to change it all week, but I just couldn't get up at 8.00. Everytime my alarm went off, I switched it off and went back to sleep, coz I thought "as tired as I am, reading will be no use" ... but I really, really have to read and take notes cos I've got that bloody important exam coming up.

So I have tried a lot of things. From herbal tea, that apparently calms you down so you can sleep, to counting sheep. Now there I was remembering the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District with all its sheep and I let them fluffy white things jump over those pretty little stone walls in my head... and nothing! Nothing is helping...

I researched counting sheep to see if I was doing it wrong and boy, this is wacko, apparently it most likely arose from Yan Tan Tethera, a traditional numbering system used by some northern English shepherds to count their flocks. Now I thought I might try that, but it's too ca-raaazzzyyy for me...

Anyway, back to ME!

Nothing is helping ... but I had to break the vicious cycle ... so I again tried to get up early. that's why I put on 2 alarm clocks today ... and actually got up at 8.00 (yey!), I read for some time and then half past 12 I got soooo tired that I almost fell asleep again if it hadn't been for La Bonette calling me about booking our flights for Cornwall (very exciting! and researching the right way to count sheep, I stumbled over this and before we go to Cornwall, we should definitly memorize some of the lingo "Na wra henna!" ) and to tell me about the latest developements in her career, in which an old creepy man is thinking she is a woman of questionable morals, which she is not!

Actually booking the flights to Bristol has been my highlight of the day followed by an expensive cheese burger whose beef from supposedly happy cows was appallingly dry ...

Back to the main problem ... for some reason I couldn't get back into work ... maybe I had too much beef. Now the big question is, will I be able to fall asleep tonight so that I can continue my work tomorrow at a proper hour? I hope so ... I'm off to brew that herbal tea the minute I post this.

It would be easier if I could just move to Chile, which is the much needed 4 hours behind time ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you´re not awakened by silly construction workers right behind your head, scratching the outside of your window endlessly! I´m NOT happy. Also, I haven´t decided yet about my morals but I´ll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

yes, please do. Well, taking the offer doesn't automatically mean you are a woman of questionable morals ... it could be the best thing to happen ever. but then it could also be the worst ... it's a conundrum!