Sunday 9 March 2008

Mission Completed

Last night the other stalker and me went to see Nick Hornby and that pretty boy we fancy AND well, we had to realize we're NOT the only ones in this "secret" society.

We didn't arrive particularly early ... but early for a reading "event". We would have been late for a concert, but then it was no concert! Little did we know ... we arrived to a large crowd perfectly lined up in a long queue in front of the theatre. Once inside we managed to grab the last 2 free seats in the last row (no joke) ... which was a success as a lot of people didn't even get a seat.

The audience demographic was rather shocking ... it felt a bit like a school reunion party as almost every person was exactly our age! And most of them were girls! Now there was the question: "Is this the usual audience Nick Hornby attracts? Or are all these girls also here for the pretty boy?" It was a conundrum we didn't manage to solve for the rest of the evening!

To cut a long story short: Nick Hornby was ace! To listen to him read from his own book and explain stuff was great! The pretty boy did a good job too... I would even say that he is better at reading live than on those CDs. His obsession with both his scarf and his hair was hypnotizing! He was a bit nervous and his hands went through his hair constantly... which made me wanna touch it even more. It looked perfect and whatever he did, it didn't lose its magic ... but seriously that hair is outta control!

One of the highlights: when the publisher lady talked to Nick Hornby and our pretty boy in English and wanted latter to answer in English too so that Mr. Hornby could understand... it was so funny. He tried, but he really didn't want to and I liked how he "talked back" at her "Can you repeat the question please?" ... cute!

There was supposed to be a party ... but honestly it didn't look that way when we left ... the chairs were all still lined up, so we didn't hang around.

But I got a poster for the event signed by both of the guys. We debated the uncoolness first ... but to be honest, speaking for myself "I'm not particularly cool anyway" and it was a proper signing so "what the hell" (I did regret I didn't bring one of my Hornby books... stupid!). And I didn't get into fangirl mode like most of the people asking to sign my name or to take pictures, I just smiled and said "Thx, have a nice evening"... which is a bit dorky, but hey, that's me!

Having said that ... I adore both of them and specially Nick Hornby for taking a moment for every single person ... looking at them with a smile! I don't think I could do that...

Meanwhile the other stalker had her own little moment with the pretty boy when one girl repeatedly requested pictures to be taken and my partner in crime gave him an understanding smile and he smiled back ... now that made me a just a tiny bit jealous!

As I already said, we left before the whole thing was done ... and before the true stalkers could really embaress themselves ... there was one girl in particular who was nervously clutching her camera and she forced herself upon us asking if we could take a picture with her and the pretty boy when he came off stage ... needless to say we were shocked and appalled ... "NO"!

Concerning the book: Brilliant! Funny! I just can't afford it right now. Having your main character talk to a poster of Tony Hawk has class. Now being a child of MTV-education I knew who he was thx to Jackass and Bam Margera. Mr. Hornby also convinced me in why he didn't pick a footballer ... I mean in the time of the WAGs he is right saying football is too commercial now - thinking about it, so is Tony "I make more money in a second than you will in a lifetime" Hawk, but it's different - I think this book could have worked with a footballer 10 years ago, but I get what deterred him now.
Having said that, Brooklyn Beckham was called Brooklyn, not cos he was conceived there, it was were they found out VB was pregnant ... he was apparently conceived in Denmark. At least that's what the first family of english football claims!

So all in all a great evening ... though it taught us we are just 2 of many!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still want to touch his hair. It's adorable. I fact I am looking forward to a next big stalking event - maybe we could have a little chat about silly girls trying to take photos...

Anonymous said...

hihi ... then reserve the 26th of April.

http://www.deutschestheater.de/programm/stuecke/repertoire_detail.php?sid=958

though I fear he won't be there...